Friday, December 29, 2017

Renew a genealogy spirit

One of those New Year things-  i had completely forgotten about this blog with so many other activities going on but my sister suggested i join GeneaBloggersTribe.com       I figured if i was going to join them i ought to have something new here to look at.

I have been thinking  that personal genealogy web sites are not well suited for preserving history because they are dependent on just one person to maintain the site.  Someone has to remove dead links, pay for the domain renewal  (mine is http://www.SearsR.com) pay the hosting outfit (I have switched to GoDaddy as a little more economical) and add new content if you want return visitors. 

So my sister and I have settle on Ancestry.com  as a way to preserve our work.  Yes it is a paid site but it seems like it has achieved critical mass and will be around for a while.  Short of that, i still plan to print a book of the Descendants of Richard Sears of Yarmouth, Plymouth Colony circa 1639 since the book would contain much of the information on the site.   My ancestry tree currently has 77,000 people in it because while you are looking for descendants of Richard Sears you find many other Sears families.

Well I think the trick to this blogging might be to just get something out there and then continue the thoughts as we go.  We had a Merry Christmas.  I hope you have a Happy  New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment