Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Quivet Neck Cemetery

I have been writing about various genealogy projects that i am working on.  One is Quivet Neck Cemetery, on South St in East Dennis.  There are over 800  memorials in this cemetery including my grandmother, grandfather, his daughter, her husband and 100s of other members of the Sears family.  This area was sometimes called Searsville due to the number of Sears famlies living on the neck.

Burt Derick listed all the tombstones in the cemetery in his 1993 Cemetery Inscriptions of Dennis, Massachusetts, Heritage Books but there are many additions since then. Since he walked the cemetery and listed the tombstones in order it is much easier to find them.  Find-A-Grave has a great deal of information about the memorials but does not tell you exactly where individual stones are located. That site -( https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/91406/quivet-neck-cemetery )- has recently added a lat-long feature that would help pinpoint the locations.  I may go there and right down 900 locations on my next visit.  Might as well take pictures of every stone (I already have photos of the Sears stones) while i am there.  Maybe a camera with GPS could pinpoint the location with each tombstone photo??

I am writing the names down on a piece of paper so when I am done it will look like the work I  did on the ancient Sears Cemetery just south of this location. (http://www.searsr.com/searscem/searscemetery.htm)

I missed blogging yesterday what with going back to work after a long break and having some other family issues arise.  Let's see how I do from here on?  It looks like a quiet morning is the best time to get some words out on the blogosphere.

You can see in this photo the cemetery is on the south side of South St, divided into about four sections and Quivet Creek (the border between Dennis and Brewster) meanders its way across the south side of the cemetery.  To the east of here is Crowes Pasture, a beautiful Dennis Conservation Land where my ancestors used to maintain salt works.

No comments:

Post a Comment